Sunday, January 5, 2014

On Becoming a Novelist

The real proof, then, lies not in publishing the first book, but rather in sitting down and pounding out the next.

From Mary Ruefle: "I used to think I wrote because there was something I wanted to say. Then I thought, 'I will continue to write because I have not yet said what I wanted to say'; but I know now I continue to write because I have not yet heard what I have been listening to."

Cold sunny day in Marfa as I eat my breakfast tacos and prepare for another day of work work at my computer. Today's task is to come up with some compelling interpretive opening text for brochures I'm updating about scientific work in the Chihuahuan Desert parks. Good stuff. And I have a nice indoor table at which to work.

And trying to ignore the very cute and completely affordable little adobe that just went up for sale down the street. Too soon for me. Still have a lot to work out toward that reality.

A lot of work, but according to a facebook wordsearch, my road will lead me through Beauty, Experience, and Happiness this year. Lets go!

2 comments:

Chiemi said...

Love it!! Let's do it.

Chiemi said...

Love it, let's do it!